This topic describes technical details about upgrading configured applications to SaveToDB 8.
If you have no configured applications, you may upgrade the SaveToDB add-in without worries.
Here are key differences introduced in SaveToDB 8 comparing to the previous versions:
- SaveToDB 8 loads definitions of all database objects in Reload Data and Configuration.
- SaveToDB 8 creates automatic configurations of saving changes, event handlers, and parameter value queries.
- SaveToDB 8 has a changed default query list.
- SaveToDB 8 has a new SaveToDB Framework with a different structure.
- SaveToDB 8 applies the xls.objects settings by default.
- SaveToDB 8 has a new configuration table, xls.workbooks.
SaveToDB 8 is a big step forward as it creates typical configurations based on database object analysis automatically.
However, the first three features may add unwanted features to configured applications.
For example, a view may become editable, or a foreign key column may get a validation list.
These are useful features. However, you may want to disable them.
To disable, use new types of event handlers: DoNotSave and DoNotAddValidation.
To hide an object in the default query list, set the HIDDEN type in the xls.objects table.
The second part is related to SaveToDB Framework 8 discussed below.
Upgrading SaveToDB Framework 7 to SaveToDB Framework 8
We have completely redesigned SaveToDB Framework, to make it simple and easy to learn.
SaveToDB 8 supports and will support previous versions of SaveToDB Framework.
SaveToDB 7 does not support and will never support SaveToDB Framework 8.
So, if you migrate your applications to a new framework, be sure that you have upgraded all the SaveToDB 7 installations.
Here is a mapping of Framework objects and roles:
|SaveToDB Framework 7||SaveToDB Framework 8|
Here are key differences:
- SaveToDB 8 has the single xls.handlers table instead of dbo01.EventHandlers and dbo01.ParameterValues.
- SaveToDB 8 has the single xls.translation table instead of dbo01.ObjectTranslation and dbo01.ColumnTranslation.
- SaveToDB 8 has no views and procedures except xls.queries.
SaveToDB Framework 8 has six objects instead of 16.
Also, it has the same object names on any supported database platform.
To migrate from the SaveToDB Framework 5-7 to SaveToDB Framework 8, make the following steps using the Application Installer:
- Install SaveToDB Framework 8.
- Export current settings to SaveToDB Framework 8 (select SaveToDB Framework 7 and Upgrade 7.x to 8.0).
- Remove SaveToDB Framework 7.