Introduction to SaveToDB Framework
SaveToDB Framework is a set of tables used to configure application features of the SaveToDB add-in, DBEdit desktop application, and DBGate and ODataDB web applications.
This framework is available for SQL Server, SQL Data Warehouse, Oracle, DB2, MySQL, PostgreSQL, NuoDB, Snowflake, SQL Server Compact, and SQLite.
This document also contains the documentation for SaveToDB Administrator for SQL Server and SaveToDB Developer Framework for SQL Server.
The SaveToDB Framework allows:
- Configuring target tables or procedures used to save data back to a database;
- Configuring cell change handlers to check and save data on user input;
- Configuring actions for the Actions and context menus;
- Configuring drill-down queries for double-click and selection change events;
- Configuring validation lists;
- Configuring ribbon parameters and their value lists;
- Configuring Excel formulas selected from views and stored procedures;
- Configuring translation of object names, columns, and parameters within Excel;
- Configuring saving and loading Excel table formats from a database;
- Configuring end-user workbooks for Application Workbooks wizard.
SaveToDB Administrator Framework for SQL Server allows auditing and managing permissions and role memberships.
It targets business users who can manage permissions in Microsoft Excel or even in a browser.
The framework adds useful links to the SQL Server documentation into the Actions menu.
SaveToDB Developer Framework for SQL Server allows:
- Generating views and procedures to select data;
- Generating stored procedures for INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE operations;
- Generating cell change handlers;
- Generating handlers for the Actions and context menus, double-click and selection change events;
- Generating views and procedures to select values for validation lists and parameters;
- Generating primary key, unique, and foreign key constraints;
These features save a lot of time for developers.
For example, creating a view and edit procedures to wrap a table takes a minute.
Also, the generated objects include the most useful built-in parameters like @column_name or @cell_value and the required configuration to use the objects.
So, this saves a lot of time on finding the required configurable features.
SaveToDB Framework is an application itself.
It configures the framework features using the framework tables.
So, you find good examples for all used features.
You may install, update, and remove SaveToDB Framework using SaveToDB Application Installer wizard or download it with the SaveToDB SDK.
You may generate a workbook to edit configuration tables using the SaveToDB Application Workbooks wizard.
We also recommend installing the Database Help Framework.
The Database Help Framework is a great tool to learn and document databases.
This documentation is generated using this framework.
Also, we recommend installing the Change Tracking Framework.
The Change Tracking Framework is a great tool integrated with Microsoft Excel to track and revert data changes.
If you are looking for a planning application, take a look at Planning Application for Microsoft and SQL Server.
This is a ready-to-use application. You may also use it to learn design patterns of applications for Microsoft Excel and databases.
We are making a lot for developers.
We love to hear your feedback. Feel free to contact us.
You may install and uninstall the framework using the Application Installer wizard at any time.
1. Open Microsoft Excel, select the Database tab of the SaveToDB add-in.
2. Run Wizards, Application Installer.
3. Connect to your Microsoft SQL Server database and install SaveToDB Framework 9.
4. Create a new workbook and connect to any table in your database using the Connection Wizard.
5. Click the Actions menu and try any feature.
You may create a workbook to edit the configuration tables at any time.
1. Run Wizards, Application Workbooks.
2. Connect to your Microsoft SQL Server database.
3. Generate the savetodb9_configuration.xlsx workbook.